Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Homeless Millionaire

http://www.lucinda.com/

Rags-to-riches entrepreneur Lucinda Yates’ inspirational story has captivated audiences across the country. In the early 1980s, after a divorce and a financial setback, she and her young daughter were left homeless and impoverished. Through hard work and creativity, she was able to get her life back on track.

While homeless in Portland, Maine, Yates taught herself how to make jewelry. With the help of friends and family, she found a home and started over.

In 1989, in a moment of inspiration, she combined a rectangle with a triangle to create a metal pin in the shape of a house.

“I heard this voice go off inside my head that said, ‘wouldn’t this make a great fundraiser for the homeless?’ ” Yates said. “I don’t know about you, but when I hear voices inside my head, I listen.”

Yates contacted a local homeless shelter and encouraged the organization to use the pins to raise money for the homeless. She sold pins to the shelter for $6 each. The shelter, in turn, sold them for $10 and used the profits to support the organization.

A Realtor soon bought a pin, starting a national phenomenon. Realtors from across the country were soon using Yate’s pins to raise money for the homeless.

“The first year, I grossed $89,000,” said Yates. “The next year, I grossed $300,000, then $1.4 million, then $2.6 million. I had challenges you can’t believe. I had no experience. I simply did the same things I did on the streets. When I ran into problems, I figured out a way to solve them.”

Over the years, Yates’ jewelry-making operation expanded from her 75-square-foot attic studio to 8,000 square feet of manufacturing space. The company now has a line of 11 theme-based fundraising pins, international distribution and a work force of more than 50 employees.

The Coloradoan

The Fundraising Houseparty: How to Get Charitable Donations from Individuals in a Houseparty Setting

How To Make Money With Online Surveys