Monday, January 28, 2008

How I Made Over $3000 From Amazon.Com In Two Days


As you see from the screenshot, I've made over $3,000 from Amazon.Com this month. Actually, I've made 3K in a matter of two days and I'd like to share my 'secret' with you guys. (If you don't know who I am and why I am addicted to affiliate marketing, read this as yet unfinished article about tips and tricks I use to make a very comfortable living online, the only important addition is that Pepperjam's new affiliate network just launched two weeks ago is generating incredible profits, probably due to its innovative new twist on affiliate relationship with vendors, I've made $125 the very first day I signed up, which never happened to me with other affiliate networks)

OK, back to Amazon.com. I've noticed that Amazon sells a lot of weird products, like The George W. Bush Voodoo Kit. So I thought - what if I post this the social bookmark sites with my affiliate ID? After a couple of tries, sure enough my story made it to the top of Reddit. That day I made about $500 in Amazon commissions.

After evaluating the result, I realized that I made a mistake. The post links directly to Amazon.com, so while I get commissions, I don't the traffic. So I miss out on an opportunity to send people to my other sites and to monetize that traffic through means other than Amazon.com.

So I created a post on Madconomist.com called 10 Things You Did Not Know You Could Buy On Amazon.Com (I've posted identical posts on other sited - Nichegeek.com, Anxus.Com, Sahio.Com to increase my chances of getting to the top of social bookmarking sites.

Sure enough, I've made it to the top of Digg.com and then Fark.com really without any effort from my side. That gave me 100K in unique visitors and additional $2500 ($3000 total). Clearly, I could have continued with the experiment, but I did not want to piss anybody off and making three grands in a matter of two days seemed rather generous anyway.

But if you've never had any luck with Amazon's affiliate program, you may use this approach. Basically, it all depends on how creative you are. Come up with an interesting list (some of my examples - The Real Shit: 10 Shitties Books Ever Written and 10 Coolest Book Titles That Have 'Fuck' In Them) and post it to your favorite social bookmark network to share with others.

If you are interested in making affiliate income outside Amazon (which is a tough nut to crack), do read my article I mentioned earlier and check out these affiliate offers that generate most income for me as of January 2008:

One Of Biggest Collections Of Free SEO Guides Online

Mystery Shoppers Wanted. No Pay, But You Keep Everything You Buy With Our Money

Take Valentine's Survey - Get $250 Restaurant Gift Card

I Am One Of The Biggest Losers ... And I Am Proud Of It!

10 Oddest Things Sold On Amazon.Com

The Man Who Found Zen - The Story of Sedona Method